Last summer, my parents bought a house in the Pennsylvania suburbs. It’s barely furnished, so I occasionally venture out there with them to help buy furniture and decorate. Since my brother was working in the area last year, he moved into the house – but now that he has a new job in a new city, he’s moved out. Luckily for me, he left his tea stash.
I love jasmine tea and I love oolong tea, so I was really excited to try his stash of Jasmine Oolong from TEAVANA. My brother and I have similar tastes when it comes to straight teas, but very different tastes for flavored teas – so when he says a straight tea is rather good, then I know I’ll like it.
- Smells like jasmine – my favorite scent.
- How does my brother not know how long he’s had this?!
- Must remember to rinse the leaves first…
- Oh… it’s a green oolong. That’ll be interesting. It’s been a while since I’ve had one.
- TYPE: Oolong tea | Straight
- DIRECTIONS: 1 tsp tea per eight ounces of water | Steep for three minutes in 195ºF water
- I used one teaspoon for about six ounces of water and steeped for about two minutes.
- BLEND: Oolong tea, scented with jasmine blossoms
- SCENT: Smelled like jasmine with a hint of grass – dry and steeped.
- BREW: Steeped into a golden brew, and got a shade lighter with each resteep.
- TASTE: The first steep had a slight grassy and floral taste from the jasmine. The second steep had more of a grassy note with a slightly sweet aftertaste. My final resteep had a mostly grassy taste, with none of the jasmine scent or taste left.
- RATING: 3.5/5 – I enjoy this tea, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to keep it in stock.